Roll on Roll Off Shipping (RORO) Services Worldwide | Honourocean Shipping
Honourocean Shipping provides RoRo shipping services from China across Asia, Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East with top carriers. Get a quick response.
What is RoRo Shipping?
The RoRo shipping or “Roll-on/Roll-off” shipping method involves transporting wheeled or truck cargo that is driven on and off a shipping vessel as opposed to being lifted onboard using cranes. It can be cars, trucks, trailers, or any self-propelled units. Also known as car carriers, these vessels have special inclines (ramps) constructed so as to make the loading and the unlading of vehicles and cargo easier and more convenient. The ability to ship cars like this has changed the face of the car shipping industry forever.
How does RORO shipping work?
This method is often used to move commercial and industrial cargo such as cars and buses over long distances, as well as to transport recreational ships and boats.
A RoRo vessel have up to 13 decks, and it works like a car park with liftable ramps connecting the decks. Your products are placed onto the most appropriate deck, depending on their weight, height and length, and safely secured with lashings.
A specialized ramp is installed at the deck level of the ship which connects directly with the loading dock on land.
Once securely loaded on board, the vehicles are safely stored by tightly lashing them together along railings installed within designated areas.
After all cargo has been loaded, the ramp can then be folded away and sealed for stability during travel.
RORO shipping offers an efficient and cost effective solution for transporting large amounts of vehicles from one place to another.
Is Roll-on, Roll-off safe?
The cargo is not exposed to the elements in any way and modern Roll on, Roll off shipping is a very cheap and safe method of international transport.
Which cargo can be transported by ro-ro ship?
RORO ships, or Roll On/Roll Off vessels, have been designed to transport both personal and commercial vehicles from port to port around the world.
RORO ships are cargo ships designed to carry wheeled cargo , such as:
Every cargo can be loaded onto and unloaded from a roro ship in a matter of hours. These efficient transport vessels are an excellent way to transport goods and transport vehicles quickly to any destination.
Where can I find RoRo shipping lines to deliver from China?
Actually, it is not so easy to find a reliable RoRo shipping line in China.
The thing is you can’t be sure that port and shipping line staff will deal with your car without issues.
It happens a lot when buyers receive their cars with scratches and dents which is unacceptable.
Honourocean specialists will be glad to help you find the most reliable shipping company to organize your RoRo delivery.
China’s RoRo terminals are mainly distributed in the following cities:
Shanghai, Xiamen, Guangzhou, Hainan, Wuhan, Chongqing, Wuhu, Nanjing, Dalian, Tianjin. Usually, auto suppliers exporting in China will choose the nearest RoRo terminal to ship RORO goods. But the four main roro export terminals are: Shanghai, Qingdao, Guangzhou, and Tianjin.
Things need to be consider when shipping RORO from China:
1) Sufficient fuel for the vehicle – after arriving at the wharf, the fuel storage capacity can normally drive 50 kilometers without stopping due to lack of fuel, and ensure that the vehicle can supply fuel normally when going up and down slopes. The weather in the north is cold in winter, and diesel vehicles must be filled with -20 or -30 diesel before leaving the factory, so as to prevent the vehicle from being unable to start after low-temperature wax precipitation in the diesel oil clogs the oil circuit. Ensure that the loading and unloading process will not be stopped due to fuel problems;
2) Make sure that the vehicle is in good condition and can drive normally, and ensure that the vehicle brakes reliably and the battery can start the vehicle normally;
3) Ensure that the appearance of the vehicle must be kept in good condition when it is delivered to the dock/ship; and ensure that the appearance of the vehicle is clean. After the vehicle is docked, please remove the rearview mirror and put it in the cab or fold it. The exterior of the vehicle should be well protected. Apply two to three degrees of protective wax to the exterior, and coat the parts that are prone to rust, such as the connecting parts of the chassis, to prevent corrosion. Rust wax to preserve;
4) In order to ensure the smooth loading of vehicles, maintenance personnel should be on site to give necessary guidance and assistance to the wharf before/during each loading process. If any vehicle defects are found, they should be rectified in time. Our company is not responsible for the vehicles loaded on board;
5) The reported port dynamics must be accurate and timely, and the port should be as punctual as possible;
6) The right inner part of the front windshield of the vehicle should be affixed with the mark according to the attachment format, and this mark must be affixed to each vehicle and spare parts;
7) Please report the size of the cargo accurately (referring to the maximum length, width, and height outer dimensions of the vehicle including its accessories on the body) to facilitate our company’s loading, and please inform your company’s ground agent on-site personnel. The three-party ruler company will confirm the size of the vehicle with your company’s on-site personnel. If the measured size is larger than the quoted size, the freight calculation and collection will be based on the data measured on site. The on-site size increase due to the customer’s misreporting or intentional concealment of the size, resulting in on-site rejection of the goods and additional costs, will be borne by the customer. “Please ask the customer for the measuring time” to confirm with our agent;
8) The on-board toolbox must be locked with a lock and handed over clearly together with the vehicle key;
9) Reminder: In addition to the vehicle tool box, there should be no spare parts, no matter they are separated or attached to the vehicle body. Except for the prior written confirmation of our company. Please make special requests as soon as possible.
Advantages & Disadvantages of RORO shipping
The advantages of roro car shipping, also known as ro-ro, are numerous. It is the most common form of international shipping for vehicles, due to its speed, cost savings, and versatility.
Roro shipping method typically involves a much shorter transit time when compared to other forms of cargo transportation, such as container or bulk shipments. This allows for faster delivery from port to port at a significantly lower cost than traditional methods.
Another distinct advantage is roro’s ability to transport nearly any type of vehicle on a single ship; this provides maximum efficiency and convenience.
One major disadvantage is the risk of vehicle damage during loading and unloading processes.
Additionally, vehicles used in roro must remain exposed on deck while in transit which can cause added wear due to UV rays and wind whilst en route.
How to calculate the RORO shipping cost for transporting cargo from China?
RORO’s billing is very special, not based on total volume or total weight.
The unit of measurement for RoRo cargo is the lane (LIM).
LIM is calculated by multiplying the length of the cargo in meters by the number of decks and multiplying by the width of the lane.
How much is the ocean freight for RoRo ships shipped from China?
Compared with container shipping method, the transportation of the same volume of cargo can save almost 20-35% of ocean freight through RoRo vessels.
The specific price needs case by case check, Honourocean Shipping will answer for you when you ask us.
Is there a lot of shipping schedule for RORO cargo? Is it every week?
No, RORO cargo is imported from China, and the shipping schedule needs to be confirmed with the freight forwarder in advance, because the schedule of RORO ships is very good compared to containers, and many cheap overseas ports may only have a ship in 1-2 months.
What is the maximum weight and height that RORO Logistics can transport?
As mentioned earlier, in addition to conventional products such as automobiles, RORO can also transport other large equipment. The approximate limit data is as follows:
Up to 6.1 meters
Maximum width of 2 meters
Weight up to 400 tons
Contact Bestforworld to get the best RORO logistics solution. As a leading forwarder for oversized goods and heavy equipment in China, Bestforworld has sufficient qualifications, competitive prices, and abundant resources.
Contact Honourocean Shipping today.
Container shipping methods VS Roro shipping methods
Container and Roro shipping methods are both commonly used forms of transport for international cargo.
The primary difference between the two is that containers are closed, locking in the goods until they reach their destination, while Roro – short for ‘roll on/roll off’ – allows direct access to the cargo during loading and unloading. This can make a huge difference when it comes to cost: container shipping requires more specialised loading equipment, as well as extra security arrangements since there is less visibility into what’s inside them, whereas Roro relies mainly on ramps or rails for easy loading onto ships, which typically keeps costs lower.
However, container shipping also has its advantages; it is much safer than traditional methods since all of the goods remain locked and secure until they reach their final destination. Ultimately, the decision of which option to go with depends on factors such as size, shape and weight of the cargo, distance and sensitivity of goods being shipped. Therefore, it is essential to determining the best method for shipping your car overseas.
Bulk Carrier vs Ro-Ro Ship
Bulk carriers and ro-ro vessels are both used to unload cargo, however the process is quite different. A bulk carrier specializes in unloading huge amounts of cargo such as dry goods,coal and ore. This is accomplished with the use of conveyor belts that unload it directly onto a dock or storage facility. On the other hand, a ro-ro vessel has an array of levels that can unload multiple vehicles at once while still allowing them enough space to be manoeuvred around. Moreover, this type of ship even allows for large items like containers to be transported with relative ease while also unloading larger vehicles faster than using a bulk carrier. In conclusion, although bulk carriers and ro-ro vessels are both used to unload cargo they work in very different ways depending on the type of goods being unloaded.